Documents required for filing Income Tax Return

Documents required for filing ITR



  • ITR-1 & ITR-2 which is usually used by the salaried people to file ITR is now available on the e-filing website.
  • Income tax department announced that from March 1, 2019 it will issue only e-refunds.

Followings are the documents required for  filing ITR for FY 2018-19. 

1. Form-16

If you are a salaried person, this is one of the most important documents for you to file your Income Tax Return. Form-16 is a TDS certificate issued to you by your employer to provide details of the salary paid to you and TDS deducted on it, if any. It is mandatory for your employer to issue Form-16 if your employer has deducted TDS from your salary.

If no TDS is deducted from your salary, then you can request your employer to provide you the same.

Form-16 consists of two parts:

Part-A and


Part-A consists of all the details of the tax deducted by your employer during the year.

Apart from details of the tax deducted from your salary, it also consists of the details of your Permanent Account Number (PAN), PAN and TAN of your employer,

whereas Part-B of the form consists of your gross salary break-up details such as exempt allowances, perquisites etc.

Recently, the government revised the Form-16 format which provides detailed breakup of the tax-exempt allowances paid to the employee and also tax breaks claimed by him via his employer.

2. Interest certificates from banks and post office

ITR forms this year also asks taxpayers to specify the source of their interest incomes such as that earned on savings account, fixed deposits or any other income.

Usually, the interest income received is taxable in the hands of an individual.

However, individuals can claim deduction under section 80TTA of up to Rs 10,000 on the interest earned from savings account held with the bank and/or post office.

Similarly, senior citizens can claim deduction of Rs 50,000 on the interest income earned from the deposits held with banks and/or post office.

3. Form-16A/Form-16B/Form-16C

If TDS is deducted on the payments other than salaries such as interest received from fixed deposits, recurring deposits etc. over the specified limits as per the current tax laws, your bank (in case of fixed deposits) will issue you Form-16A providing you the details of the amount of TDS deducted.

4. Form 26AS

Form 26AS is your consolidated annual tax statement. This is like your tax passbook which has information of all the taxes that have been deposited against your PAN. These include:

a) TDS deducted by your employer;

b) TDS deducted by banks;

c) TDS deducted by any other organisations from payments made to you;

d) Advance taxes deposited by you during the FY2018-19;

e) Self-assessment taxes paid by you.

One can download Form 26AS from the TRACES website.

To download your Form-26AS, you can login to your account on the e-filing website,

Once logged in, click on ‘View 26AS (Tax Credit)’ under the ‘My Account’ tab. The website will redirect you to the TRACES website to download the form.

You should ensure that all the taxes deducted in FY 2018-19 are reflecting against your PAN in Form-26AS.

In case of mismatch, you should ask the deductor to rectify the mistake. If the mismatch is not corrected, you won’t be able to claim tax-credit for that TDS deduction.


5. Tax-saving investment proofs

All the tax-saving investments made by you and the expenditures incurred by you eligible for deduction under section 80C, 80CCC and 80CCD(1) during FY2018-19 can help you lower your tax liability.

The maximum tax-break you can claim under these three sections combined cannot exceed Rs 1.5 lakh in a financial year.

The most commonly available tax breaks under section 80C are as follows:

a) Employees’ Provident Fund (EPF)

b) Public Provident Fund (PPF)

c) Investments in equity-linked savings schemes (ELSS)

d) Life insurance premium paid

e) National Pension System (NPS) etc.


6. Documentary proofs to claim deductions under section 80D to 80U

Apart from tax-saving investments and expenditures under section 80C, there are certain expenses on which you can claim deductions under different sections of the Income-tax Act. For instance, health insurance premium paid for self, spouse and/or children in FY 2018-19 are eligible for deduction under section 80D of the Act for up to a maximum of Rs 25,000 in a year.

if you have paid any interest on the education loan, you can claim deduction under section 80E. There is no maximum limit on the amount of interest paid on the education loan. To claim this deduction, you would need an interest paid certificate from the bank from which you have taken the loan.


7. Home loan statement from bank/NBFC

If you have taken a home loan from a bank or any other financial institution, don’t forget to collect the loan statement for the last financial year.

It will provide you the break-up details of how much principal and interest has been repaid by you.

This statement is needed both as proof and as a source of information for filling your income tax return.

8. Capital gains

If you have earned some capital gains from the sale of property and/ or mutual funds/ equity shares, then you will be required to report these gains in your Income Tax Return.

9. Pre-validation of bank account for ECS refund

Income tax department announced that from March 1, 2019 it will issue only e-refunds. These refunds will be credited to those bank accounts which are linked with the PAN. Therefore, you are required to pre-validate your bank account as well as link your bank account with PAN to receive income tax refund, if any.


10. Aadhaar card

Providing Aadhaar details is mandatory to successfully file your ITR.

According to section 139AA of the Income-tax Act, an individual is required to provide his/her Aadhaar details while filing the return of his/her income.

If you have not received your Aadhaar card yet but have applied for it, then you would be required to provide the enrolment ID in your tax return.

The income tax department has made it mandatory to quote Aadhaar number from April 1, 2019 while filing ITR.


11. Collect details of investment in unlisted shares

If you have invested in shares of an unlisted company, then you are required to provide all the details of the same this year while filing ITR-2. 

You are required to provide complete details of investment along with name and PAN of the company.

You will be required to ask the company about their PAN details as required in ITR-2.

Details of your investment required are divided into four heads – opening balance, shares acquired during the year, shares transferred during the year and closing balance.

12. Collect bank account details

While filing your Income Tax Return, you are also required to report all the bank accounts held by you.

The details required to be filled in the ITR are: – bank name, account number, account type and IFSC code.

Make sure to mention correct IFSC code to ensure receiving the refund, if any, smoothly.

13. Update bank and post office savings account passbook, PPF account passbook

Make sure to update and check your bank passbook/s for the FY 2018-19 to report any other income such as dividend etc. while filing your ITR.

Although the interest on PPF is tax-exempt, it still has to be reported in your ITR.

14. Salary slips

You may need your salary slips, as ITR 2, recently released by the income tax department, asks individuals to specify the nature of salary income such as basic, dearness allowance, house rent allowance and so on.

[Form id=”1″]

Leave a Comment